Quick action taken by residents at an Owen Sound apartment complex helped stamp out an early morning fire.
Owen Sound firefighters were dispatched to apartments in the 1700 block of 4th Avenue East just after 6 a.m. Wednesday to a fire in a bedroom of one of the units.
City fire chief Doug Barfoot says an occupant in another unit at the apartment complex heard the smoke alarm going off and acted quickly, grabbing a fire extinguisher to douse the blaze in their neighbour's residence as firefighters were arriving on scene.
"Without the action of the other occupants it would have been a lot worse than what it turned out to be," Barfoot says.
The person living in the unit where the fire started was taken to hospital.
A fire department official says the small blaze started accidentally and related to smoking.
Damage caused by the fire was limited to the room it started in.